You are currently viewing The First Motorcycle

The First Motorcycle

The finished product – left side
The layout
In porgress
The finished project – right side

Welded metal art – 2019-6 Project #22. If you you have been following along silently as I read aloud, you knew this moment was coming. Let the TIG welding era begin in the shop! I had seen several versions of welded metal art motorcycles on the web so with the new TIG torch in hand, I decided to give it a shot. It was a challenging process as I was still learning a lot about TIG welding. The most significant of challenges was not to melt a hole in the thinner metal as I attempted to join metals of different thicknesses. Not being ambidextrous, I did soon realize that skill would have been very useful as I had to summon my inner contortionists to work around the piece to finish some of the welds. In addition to that challenge, I was struggling with holding pieces in place to weld while maintaining the symmetry of the piece. I had a really nice pair of welding gloves but I was discovering that after many heat cycles on the left-hand glove that covered my ‘primary clamp’, the leather was shrinking and not fitting correctly anymore (if the glove doesn’t fit, you must … get a new one. Yeah, a throwback to the OJ trial in case you had no idea). However, I think it came together rather nicely!

I used the metal from the handle of an old shovel to form the gas tank, seat, and rear fender. Same. The gas tank and seat actually served as the frame in this case and was the integral primary part connecting everything together. 4-cycle engine crankshaft bearings served as the wheels. Two bolts were welded on as the front forks and two cap screws were bent, welded together, and added to the tops of the forks to serve as the handle bars. The engine block was made from two wheel studs (a late night raid in the neighborhood – don’t worry, they they still have 4 left). Several nuts were welded together and added as the transmission. An old go-kart throttle attachment was then welded on representing the clutch and drive assembly. And finally some rod stock as bent and added as the mufflers. I did add a headlight later, just in case someone decided to take it on a night ride.

While this one was pretty basic, it gave me inspiration to think about the next design for a motorcycle that would come very soon. As I speak about inspiration, I would be remiss not to mention an incredible and amazing person that inspires me in many wonderful ways as I delve into this welding venture and life. So with that I say find your (model for) inspiration and weld on!

This Post Has 2 Comments

  1. Mindy

    I think this one is awesome!

    1. The Dan

      I have made a couple more – you’ll see them in some upcoming posts

Comments are closed.